Monday 9 July 2012

Watch out fishies, here I come!

I passed! As of 5th July I’m now a PADI Open Water certified scuba diver ready to be let loose in the sea. Somebody warn the marine life!

During the last couple of weeks I’ve completed my four obligatory open water dives – all shore dives off the waterfront on Plymouth Hoe over two evenings.  On the first night realisation dawned that diving is a far from glamorous hobby. With all the equipment lined up on the pavement alongside the road above the steps down to the entry point, the next obvious step was to get changed. My first question: “Is there any etiquette to this or do you literally just...?” That’s right, you just strip! No holds barred, the dry clothes come off and the wetsuit goes on (or rather you look a bit of a tit as you wiggle your way into it occasionally jumping in the air to aid the pulling up millimetre by painful millimetre). If you’ve prepared in advance you will of course make sure you’re already wearing your swimming togs before getting yourself into this precarious situation!  

The result...



Yes, seal was my first thought too.

Full kit on, down the steps (so much easier to say than do with 10kg weights and a 12l tank on your back), final checks complete (this was where one of the instructors reminded me it helps to turn your air on – mental note made) and it was into the sea off the rocks in a not so graceful roll sideways into the water from a crouching position (make like you’re going skiing and someone just hung a large weight off your right arm).
In the water we discovered I was overweighted (if someone hadn’t been holding onto me during these checks I would have sunk) but we figured with extra inflation I’d survive (turn of phrase – I was perfectly safe). Actually, that was probably a bad decision, as I spent most the dive being propped up by one of the instructors as I kept rolling to the side, but you live and learn! Despite the dodgy choice of equipment (my BCD – the inflatable jacket – was also too big but I blame myself for that as I know what size I am and should’ve checked I’d been given the right one) and the lack of visibility (I couldn’t figure out who was who), I made it through all the skills tests without too much drama and got back onto dry land (with help – your legs feel like lead weights after getting out of the water) feeling like I’d accomplished something, though not feeling as exhilarated as I’d hoped because of the extra effort involved in righting the kit malfunctions. Having said that, it was my first ever sea dive and not something I’ll forget in a hurry!
The second night on the water (or underwater) was a different experience altogether. I made sure I had all of the right kit (down to the extra small fins which no one could figure out why I needed as I’m an average size 5 usually) and I knew what to expect. I loved it from start to finish! I made it through all the skills tests...eventually! I had a slight problem with remembering to start kicking to propel myself to the surface during a controlled emergency swimming ascent but I got there with gentle encouragement. The best part by far was having a bimble (I have it on good authority that’s a highly technical scuba term) along the sea floor. The seaweed (or kelp) in itself was interesting with the odd sea snail (yes, I’m making names up now) attached, but my first ‘proper’ find was a crab, or part thereof. Okay, so he wasn’t a whole live crab, I’d found a claw of a previously departed and sorely missed crustacean (I don’t know, but I suspect his friends may have written something along those lines in his eulogy) which caused a bit of amusement when my instructor picked it up and started mock attacking me with it. It really is hard to laugh underwater! My best discoveries of the dive were some little fishies. They really were very little fishies but I was enthralled by them. Who knows what they thought of me peering at them through what must have looked like a giant window but they were very cute. A bit too quick for me to chase though! I also saw a tiny starfish, which I didn’t realise was a starfish until I was told later (it looked like a tiny white octopus to me)!
It’s all very well describing all of these discoveries, what I need is photos! Evidence to aid the descriptions. My PADI book says that I should have an aim and mine is definitely to take the underwater photography speciality at some point. It certainly won’t be my only aim and I want to make myself more comfortable with ‘normal’ scuba diving first, but I will get there. In the meantime, I may have to hijack images from any budding photographers who happen to be on the same dives as me, but there’s nothing like being able to put your name to a photo. Now, if someone wins the lottery and would like to help me out with the costs I’d be much obliged!
If you found yourself playing out the reverse of the getting undressed and into your wetsuit scenario in your mind earlier, I’ll help you out. Back on the side of the road (people walking by, cars driving past) imagine a group of people peeling themselves out of wetsuits/drysuits and then cautiously attempting to remove wet undergarments and replace with dry ones under a towel whilst trying to avoid the possibility of being arrested for indecent exposure... there’ll be plenty more occasions to hone that skill, I’m sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment