Tuesday 11 December 2012

The guiding light of nav and night

Time certainly flies when you’re underwater. Okay, so that’s not much of an excuse for the time since the last post, but I’ve been spending a fair bit of time down yonder and haven’t had time to sit down and type on the surface. Real life got in the way…until now! We left off with the completion of my second adventure dive towards the advanced qualification, so that’s where I’ll pick up.

Location: Jennycliff Bay – Type: Reef – Max Depth: 8.9m – Length: 48 mins – Surface: Clear

It was a rather chilly morning for the navigation adventure dive a week or so into November; 2c when I left home first thing but the blue skies and sunshine made the early start worth it and I’ve come to learn that if you’re a little nippy on the surface, once you get under the water you’ll be feeling toasty (okay, minor exaggeration, but definitely not freezing).

The first thing to do was refresh my memory on how to use a compass. We touched on it briefly in the open water course, but the last time I actually used a compass for navigation skills (you may wonder what else a compass can be used for) was around 12 years ago in a school PE lesson when, in orienteering, we were taught how to ‘move your body round the map’. Well I’ll tell you something; that ain’t a lot of help underwater! It’s a bit like when they said maths would come in useful one day…still waiting! School lesson inadequacies aside, we practiced on dry land and I made a half decent attempt to navigate a square. Somehow I kept ending up walking into a bollard in the car park when I didn’t start at that point but it was on the same line so it was close enough for me.

Once out on the boat and into the water (12c temp, certainly can’t complain), the real skills tests began. Jennycliff Bay is a reef, but for the purposes of this dive we lurked (no, not in that way) on the outer edges on the sandy bottom (again, it’s not how it sounds) so we had a level playing field to practice. As it was, the visibility wasn’t particularly good so it was a case of staying close together and next to the shot line and take it in turns (there were four of us doing the skills) with our instructor instructing (strangely enough) on what task was next. As well as using a compass, we had to use natural navigation, for example taking note of lines in the sand and following the channel along, or using a particular rock (where we were there weren’t many) to recognise where you started. I chose a reasonably sized starfish along the way using the theory that if he was on the left of me on the way out and the right of me on the way back I was going the right way. It seemed to do the trick (though in retrospect, he could have moved)! While one of us was doing that skill, your buddy had to count kick cycles (one cycle = every time you kick with a particular leg) and stop you when you’d done a pre-determined number. This went relatively well, though we hadn’t quite grasped that we had to stay really close to each other for this to work so by the time the person counting had let the other one go and started counting behind, buddy number one was left wondering why they hadn’t been stopped yet while buddy number two was frantically trying to catch up to let number one know they could stop! I’d imagine if we’d been filmed I’d have had to add the music that accompanies this video (stick with it, my point is made around 10 seconds in)…


(Please note, I don’t condone the idea of a shrimp on a treadmill, I actually feel sorry for the little fella, but who knew you’d get this result on YouTube when searching for the Benny Hill theme tune?)

The compass work didn’t go quite as well in the water as it did on land. Both myself and my buddy had difficulty getting the compass to work. We’d get to turn three and completely lose track of where we were because the needle wouldn’t move. Given that we both had the same problem we blamed the compass (naturally) despite our instructor proving that it worked a bit later. You win some, you lose some; we’re sticking to our story!

Advanced dive three complete, it was back to the dive centre in somewhat warmer conditions. The air temperature had crept up to around 11c by late morning but despite that, I’d come prepared and I was therefore going to wear my penguin hat to keep me warm! I possibly should have reassessed keeping it on after I’d changed. I got some funny looks in Sainsbury’s.

Location: Waterfront – Type: Shore – Max Depth: 10m – Length: 27 mins – Surface: Clear

The next course dive to check off the list was the night adventure, even though I’ve done a night dive before, albeit by accident (see below for that story). This time we started in the dark, as opposed to it gradually getting dark, so it was a case of kitting up on the side of the road and walking cautiously down the stairs to the edge of the water. It was a reasonable 11c air temp – considering it was 7.30pm in mid-November that’s pretty good going and meant there was no shivering this time round!

As the tide was in, it made entry pretty easy. It was a case of one step, two step, hello sea. One of the instructors had the job of putting four pairs of fins on us students; I’m sorry to say none of us have yet mastered putting these on in the water by ourselves! By that point my usually highly efficient torch was behaving inefficiently so the instructor switched it with his, reassuringly calling it the ‘sun’. I was reassured for all of five minutes when the ‘sun’ set. Not to worry; my instructor who was leading the group and buddying me had more than enough torch for the both of us, though I still carried on gripping mine in the hope that it might perk up again…it didn’t! I think someone needs to check the charger!

There wasn’t much by way of skills tests on this dive. It was more about acclimatisation to only being able to see by torchlight, but as this was the second time I’d found myself in this scenario it made for a relaxed evening. We practiced hand signals by torchlight (shadow puppets spring to mind) taking care not to blind anyone whilst doing so. We also had to really be aware of staying close together. One of the guy’s behind me in a different buddy pair said afterwards that all he could see was yellow fins and sand. I recommended not swimming quite so close to me in future!
Just the one dive left to become an advanced diver. As ever, plans are never fixed when it comes to timetabling dives, so it was to be another two weeks before I managed my deep dive, with a fun shore dive interlude in between. More on that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment